Sunday, September 23, 2007

Can Mormons be Vegans?

I remember years ago learning in some class or meeting that being a vegetarian was not living the gospel. The thought was that by following and understanding the Word of Wisdom we would eat meat when other fresh foods were not available. But when grains, fruits and vegetables were in season we should focus on them instead of on meat.

Well, for those of us who live in the United Stated and other countries where produce is available all year round, how do we reconcile eating meat at all? On the other hand, even those of us who profess to follow the Word of Wisdom, most of us don't truly follow it to the letter of the law. In our "1st world" of plenty we have all varieties of foods available to us nearly all year long. We can eat a meal with meat & grain & veggies & fruits any time we wish. I've yet to meet anyone who only eats meat during the coldest winter months. So how, in this modern era of food production, do we figure out how to best follow the Word of Wisdom so that when we are at our next temple recommend interview we can feel honest about the answer we give?

Because of the constant availability of legumes, lentils, whole grain products and soy products along with the regular fruits and fresh/frozen veggies, eating meat may not be necessary anymore in our culture. Hmmm...

About 20 years ago a friend of mine became a vegetarian and soon the whole family followed suit. At first I was terrified. Afraid that they would be scolded by the leaders of the church or that they were on the verge of apostasy. I was wrong on both counts. My friend's family members were all very obese, she had diabetes and other health problems and her new son-in-law talked them into trying the new lifestyle for just a few weeks to see how they felt about it. So they did.

They didn't become vegetarians because they were protesting the killing of animals to satisfy our gluttonous desires. They were doing it to see if their health would improve. Within just three months it became obvious to all who knew them that whatever they were doing was really helping them. They all lost weight slowly and healthfully. Their diabetes became so easy to control with the diet that they were able to go off their meds. It was like a miracle.

Now two decades later, I have diabetes and I've become obese (60 lbs overweight) and I am looking for help to get my health back, my stamina back and my figure back. So I started listening to lectures by medical doctors who were right on the forefront of learning exactly how to cure diabetes (even in the most ill patients) by healing their bodies from the inside out - strengthening their cell membranes, sloughing the fat off the cells that were preventing the body from utilizing insulin in the best way, and by healing the whole body rather than just treating a symptom.

The research has recently shown that by eating a completely vegan diet (no meat, dairy or eggs), one can see marked improvements in just two weeks and within a year they can be cured of type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Then the researchers started treating severely ill people with heart disease who were not expected to live long, and out of 100 people put on a strict Vegan diet, over 80 of them grew new, stronger veins to their hearts and their cholesterol levels went down so fast that they had to stop taking their pills. The other 20 people improved enough to be able to avoid surgery and all are still alive as of this writing. Surprisingly, their arthritis also went away and everyone lost weight even those who did not exercise. And one woman in the study who had cancerous polyps had a miraculous recovery as the cancer and the polyps disappeared.

So I am now a Mormon and a Vegan. It has nearly been a week now. I told my Bishop about it and he supported me 100%. The reason is because I'm not taking the stand that killing animals for food is a horrible thing. I am doing it because I want to do whatever I can, in a natural, God given way, to nourish my body the way it deserves to be nourished. I want to do my part to treat it like the temple that it is.

So far after less than a week, my blood sugar has gotten down to normal range for the first time in over 2 years, the arthritis in my fingers is nearly gone and I have lost 4 pounds without letting myself get the least bit hungry. Without exercise I should loose about a pound a week, but with exercise I will loose about 2 pounds a week. What a great perk!

If you want information or the books that I have read leave a comment and I'll get back to you.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog got me thinking. It is really true that unless we are totally self-sufficient regarding our food, we don't really need to eat meat antmore.

I'm not sure about the vegan rout but I'm going to give vegetarianism a try. Thanks for the motivation.

Unknown said...

I would be curious to read the studies regarding the 100 people put on a vegan diet. If you still have that information, I would like to read that.
Thank you!
Amber

Karen Dougherty said...

Hi Amber,

The study is discussed and sited in the books Breaking the Food Seduction and Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes both by Dr. Neal Barnard M.D.

By the way, after 10 months now on a vegan diet my firbomyalgia is nearly gone, I am off my diabetes medication altogether as well as my cholesterol and asthma medications. My liver function is back to normal and I feel great. I have learned to cook with all kinds of herbs and spices and I never go hungry! It's absolutely the best thing I have ever done for my body.

MelissaDaams said...

Hi. I've been vegetarian for one year. I've been thinking about going vegan. As I've done my research I found that not all cheese is even vegetarian. Rennet - comes from baby cows. How can we as Mormons not be compassionate when it comes to animals. I don't care for the nasty treatement of these animals - and how chickens are cooped up in little cages so we can have eggs. When I first started breast feeding my first child - it dawned on me that in order to get cows milk - the cow had to have a baby - and then to read that they take the baby aways so that we can drink milk - makes me sad. It just isn't right. Plus - like you said - look at the health benefits - you can't beat that! I was sitting in Sunday school about 3 years ago when we where discussing section 89 of D&C - and one guy in the class said something that made me think! really think. Read verse 3 - "adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints" so this guy in my class says - imagine section 89 was given for the strongest of the saints... what might it include? I think we eat too much sugar too - not just animal flesh. so my road to vegetarianism - started with this verse. I've never looked back!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I agree with you! I'm also mormon and a vegan and I think it fits into our religion perfect.

Candice said...

Hello, it's me again. I would love to talk to you about mormonism and veganism and get your points of view. Can I send you an email sometime? Or if you want to email me, that would be awesome to. My email is candice.m@aggiemail.usu.edu.
I'm writing an article about Mormonism and Veganism and would love to chat. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to read these comments. I have been a vegan since July 4th when I had my last hamburger. I also quit eating animal products to improve my health. Since that time I have been following a diet recommended by Dr. John McDougall. I feel fabulous. This also changes things in the food storage department, doesn't it? I find it a much easier commandment to follow now that we don't have to store meat, milk, etc.

Karen Dougherty said...

I agree about food storage. We have been told for decades to rotate our food storage which means that we should be now eating what we will be eating once we need to rely on food storage. I have TVP that we purchased 30 years ago that I thought of as emergency rations. Now that I'm a vegan I've learned how to cook with it and we really love it. Anything with animal products in it spoils much faster than those without - it makes so much sense.

Faith said...

Hey. I'm a Mormon vegan. My husband seems to have a lot of problems with it, for some reason. I started for my health, and I continue out of compassion for the animals. After watching Meet your Meat, I can't see how anyone would think the horribly ill treatment of animals is a part of Heavenly Father's plan.

Jen said...

Hi Karen,
Just found your website and this great article. Just wondering...are you still vegan? Check out my website, if so, I have a bunch of recipes you might be interested in!
: )

Teresa said...

I have been a vegetarian for six years, just went vegan. I went veg for animal kindness reasons, vegan for health reasons.

I happen to have been a Relief Society President and marathon runner while vegetarian!

Just wanted to say, it's a personal journey that not everyone can do because food is such a cultural, emotional, social thing. (I think I'll blog about that!)

But for me, the benefits go far beyond overcoming specific health challenges. I've become a much kinder, gentler person, have a finer intuition, more personal resolve and discipline.

I love it!

luvmymunchkins said...

I'm curious too, are you still vegan?

You're article is the breath of fresh air I needed to read. I've had the same thoughts, but find that I can't express them because not everyone is ready to hear and understand the wonderful world of healthy eating. Thanks!

Pamela Dean said...

Hear hear! There is actually a lot of evidence that following 'the forgotten verses' - the parts about plants and animals - in the Word of Wisdom is actually living a higher law. For example, http://www.vegsource.com/articles/catano.htm has awesome information, including quotes from many church leaders, and even the revelation that Joseph Fielding Smith was a vegetarian!

Karen Dougherty said...

For those who have asked if I am still a vegan the answer is YES YES YES! After experiencing incredible health improvements I will never go back to eating meat. Other animal products are sometimes difficult to stay away from when eating out but for the most part I am still a strict vegan. I have also started a vegan blog at http://worldwidevegan/blogspot.com with traveling tips, restaurant tips and some of my favorite recipes.

Anonymous said...

Hi!!! ldsetc.blogspot.com is one of the best resourceful websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. ldsetc.blogspot.com rocks!

Anonymous said...

The author of ldsetc.blogspot.com has written an excellent article. You have made your point and there is not much to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not argue with: In any given group of friends, there is always one who never has money to buy his own beer. Thanks for the info.

Per68 said...

I've been searching for something like this for so long....being a Mormon/Vegan this is great. I've talked to many people in the church who argue the "being a Mormon and a vegetarian/vegan thing" but feel that I can love my religion and care about my health, the environment and animal rights all without compromising one or the other. It's good to know there are people out there who share the same thoughts and ideals. Woo-hoo!

Byron said...

nice job ... check out mormonvegetarian.com a new website for Mormon Vegetarians ...

Eli & Corinne said...

Thank you for your post. I've been looking for a while for something about the Word of Wisdom online because I wanted to know why and how other members turn to a vegan lifestyle. I'm 34 and desperately trying to gain control of my health in hopes of getting pregnant before I get to old. I always thought I needed to eat meat in order to obey the Word of Wisdom but have recently come to learn for myself that that is not so. I will be checking out many references from your previous comments on this post. Thanks again.

Mary Lynn said...

So how do you feel about those of us who are vegetarian for moral reasons? The scriptures do, after all, state that meat is only to be used in times of 'winter and famine', as you mentioned above. I don't believe it's right to kill animals simply because we like what they taste like. It just feels so wrong to me. They are fellow beings on this earth, we should treat them with respect and kindness. There is no reason for anyone to be eating the flesh of animals when there are alternatives.. Not just alternatives, but cheaper & healthier ones!
I choose to be vegetarian for this reason. I am an active Mormon.

What is your view on this?

Karen Dougherty said...

Hi Mary Lynn and all, Well I don't think it matters what I think about becoming a vegan for of animal cruelty reasons. The only opinions that matter is yours and Gods'. I know two things about God that might apply here. 1. God created and lives all living creatures. He has told us that He even notices when a sparrow falls from it's nest. And He has told us that we need to be righteous stewards over all the Earth. So I heve to reason then that it saddens Hum greatly whenever we treat an animal with cruelty.
2. I also know that God is bound to keep His word and give us promised blessings when we keep a commandment even when we don't realize we have done so. So He will bless us for following the Word if Wisdom regardless of the reason behind our choice.

Karen Dougherty said...

Sorry for all the errors. I'm typing this on my iPhone

Kevin said...

I am a Mormon vegetarian (strict vegetarian, no meat, dairy, eggs, or honey, so almost Vegan) and it is also good to see other members of the Church who strive to better live the Word of Wisdom and/or treat animals with respect. I have been vegetarian for 4 years now, both my girlfriend and I became vegetarians together. In case you were not aware I wanted to invite all to the Mormon Vegetarians group on Facebook. The link is: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_2247600845. I think we LDS vegetarians need to stick together. I am hoping that a more formal group for us will be organized in the future, but until then I want to begin some kind of Meetup group for those in the Salt Lake area. I'd love to hear from anybody especially those in Utah, you can email me at kpomeroy@gmail.com. I wrote a study on the topic of vegetarianism and the Gospel, so feel free to check it out at: http://www.scribd.com/kevin_pomeroy.

Shelly said...

Hello, I am a mother of three young children. Our family went vegan about a year and a half ago. I am really trying to get our food storage squared away. I know that the powdered milk that the church supplies is enriched with vitamin D3 which is a vitamin most americans are low in and we can mostly only get through sun, supplements and only some mushrooms that were exposed to sun before harvesting. Most people don't absorb enough from the sun. So my problem is figuring out how to store enough of what we need nutritionally for a year that is shelf stable. The new food storage guidelines say we should not rely on our garden...(we should still have one) but what we store and all ingredients needed should be shelf stable. I want these ingredients to be healthy. I was hoping some of you have soved some of these dilemas such as a B12 source? Etc. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks,