Saturday, September 29, 2007

Catholics do Baptism for the Dead

Perhaps this is common knowledge - I have been known to be ignorant from time to time - but because my Catholic friends seem perplexed by our baptism for the dead ordinance I guess I assumed that we were the only church who did it. Not so.

OK, some will say that I am taking this out of context, and perhaps I am, but basically I don't see much difference. The "this" I'm referring to is the tradition for Catholics to baptize babies who die before they are able to be baptized while alive. One of my boys went to South America on his mission and so did my daughter-in-law. She said that it was common for dead babies to be brought to the church and baptized before being buried.

So, I ask, what is the difference between baptizing someone who has been dead for several hours or a day and someone who has been dead for a hundred years? Dead is dead. The spirit has left the vessel and resides in heaven, or the spirit world or whatever word you refer to as the afterlife.

Of course there are differences. One being that when we baptize we believe that it is actually the person in spirit - not the flesh - who accepts or rejects the ordinance. Eventually that person will get their physical body back, but it isn't the body that the ordinance is done for. It is our spirit that is housed in our body that makes all of our choices in life, not our flesh. And it is our spirit in the afterlife that will be in control - not our flesh.

Perhaps some protestant churches baptize their dead before burying them, I'll have to look into that. But for now at least I understand how I can better explain our ordinances to others in a way they can accept and understand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The spirit has left the vessel and resides in heaven,"

Well that's the crus of it. Has the spirit in fact left the body? Catholics say we don't know and baptise the recently deceased infant.

If the spirit has left, then there was no baptism and we must trust to God's infinite mercy and justice.

If the spirit has not left, then original sin has been removed and the infant is in a state of grace.

Annointing of the sick, which includes absolution of sins, is also rendered to adults before or immediately after death for the same reasoning.

Karen Dougherty said...

Welcome Timothy,

I hoped this controversial post would bring in some comments as this blog is still in its' formative months.

I welcome differing points of view as long as they are intelligent and of course non-hateful, slanderous or otherwise inappropriate.